Monday, July 10, 2017

Top 5 Parenting books:

One of the questions young moms ask me most often is what parenting books they should read.  It's overwhelming trying to decide!  Not only are there SO many different books about there, but they are so often touting one particular philosophy, one "right" way of doing things, and we can close them feeling discouraged and overwhelmed.

I love to be a mama, and I love to read, and of all the parenting books I've read in the (almost 11!) years I've been a mom, these are my top 5 favorites; the ones I go back to again and again.

1. Don't Make Me Count to Three
This book is super helpful and practical for the young training years, I would say birth to age 7.  I'm reaping the benefit now of all the training I put in when they were very small.  My kiddos aren't perfect by a long shot, but I enjoy them so much!

2. Shepherding a Child's Heart
This is a wonderful book, and is the Biblical and spiritual basis around which Don't Make Me Count to Three was written.  Lots of really good things for my heart in this book, no matter how old my children are!

3. Loving the Little Years: Motherhood in the Trenches
If you were going to take just one of my book recommendations, let it be this. It's a small, quick read - you can finish it in a naptime or two - and you will close the last page feeling encouraged and renewed.  I reread it sometimes still.

4. Raising Grateful Kids in an Entitled World
This is a wonderful book for parents with kids of all ages and stages, because don't we all struggle with entitlement, in our own heart, and in our children's?

5. Mitten Strings for God
This book isn't written from a Christian perspective, necessarily, but it is so lovely and encouraging and broken up into small, easy to read sections.  I revisit this one again and again.

What I'm reading right now:
Fit to Burst: Abundance, Mayhem, and the Joys of Motherhood
This is a follow-up to Loving the Little Years above.  Here's the flyleaf - doesn't it sound just perfect?!
It is chock-full of humorous examples and fresh advice covering issues familiar to moms, such as guilt cycles, temptations to be ungrateful or bitter, enjoying your kids, and learning how to honor Jesus by giving even in the mundane stuff. But this book also addresses less familiar topics, including the impact moms have on the relationships between dads and kids, the importance of knowing when to laugh at kid-sized sin, and more.
A thoughtful follow-up to Loving the Little Years, Rachel's first book, Fit to Burst will help us to be moms who parent with the story in mind rather than the snapshot, who know how to give much and to require much from their children in the everyday mayhem, and who understand the importance of biscuits.

No comments:

Post a Comment