Thursday, February 16, 2017

A review: The Dog Who Was There

I try to take my children to the cross in a thousand different ways.

when we read the bible around the table
when we pray for the car accident on the side of the road
when we find ways to give generously, secretly
when I lose my temper and have to ask for their forgiveness
when we memorize scripture
when we make corporate worship on Sundays a priority
when they mess up and need forgiveness
when they are afraid
when we are making a decision as a family
when Dan and I argue

I do my best to take them to the Cross, to make it come alive for them.
It's the only hope they have, and there is such wonder to be found in the Cross of Christ....

when some look at it, they see a tragedy -
but oh, when we look at the Cross, we see triumph and redemption and the greatest Love the world has ever known

and so I don't want them to see that old rugged cross as something that happened way back then,
something that is done and settled....no, I want it to come alive for them, for us every day!

One of the ways I've found to do that, especially with Lana, is by reading historical fiction as it relates to Christ.  Books like The Donkey Who Carried a King, Jotham's Journey....there's just something that resonates in our hearts as we read about what it might have been like to live in the time of Christ.

The Dog Who Was There by Ron Marasco makes it all come alive for us in the same way.  The main character is a dog named Barley.  He finds his way into your affections easily, and as he encounters the Messiah near the time near His crucifixion, you are afforded a view into this rich, heartbreaking, victorious time in our history as believers.  The time upon which all of our great hope hinges.


Lana, my 10 year old, read this book, and to my delight, she prepared a review of it for us:




I received a complimentary copy of this book from Litfuse Publicity for this review. 
All opinions are my own. 


No comments:

Post a Comment