Wednesday, January 11, 2017

First broken bone.

Well, it was only a matter of time.
Tucker was playing dodgeball at recess yesterday, and dove for a ball, landing right on his shoulder, with apparently just enough pressure to break his clavicle.

Dan got to the school before I could, and I met them at the emergency room.
He was calm by the time I got there, thankfully.
Dan is so good in a crisis.  Me....I'm more like a chicken with my head cut off.


 He was in quite a bit of pain after it happened,
but you could almost visibly see his pain level decrease when they got him in a sling and took the pressure off.

 He was pretty thrilled when the doctor told him no written work or chores for several weeks, at least. 
His expression wasn't nearly that cheery when he found out he couldn't jump on the trampoline, play basketball, or do recess and PE at school.

The toughest part so far has been getting him undressed and in the shower.  It was pretty agonizing, and there was no good way to do it.  I was ready to just cut his clothes off, but Dan somehow made it happen.  I had to leave the room.





We put his mattress on the floor so there was no risk of him falling.  Getting in and out of bed is pretty tough, but 24 hours later, and he's already figured out how he can move with the least amount of pain, so that's good.

 The ER doc said that he was fine to go to school,
but he woke up this morning in pretty significant pain,
so I kept him home with me for some TLC.

This is him giving me directions from the couch on how to make a smoothie.

You can see on his face that he wasn't feeling super great.

The Motrin wasn't really touching the pain,
so I got to work:

He's spent all day today doing various adaptations of this:

He has been the sweetest little love, 
telling us thank you over and over.
Thank you for taking care of me.
Thank you for taking me to the hospital.
Thank you for getting me this sling.
Thank you for getting me so many drinks.
Thank you for doing my pillows so its comfy.
Thank you for making my bed low (putting his mattress on the floor).
Thank you for bathing me.
And it's not just while we're caring for him, either.
He'll thank us for something we did hours ago.
Oh my HEART.

We've got an appointment with the ortho at Nemours tomorrow afternoon to see where we go from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment