Wednesday, April 6, 2016

What do we value more: God's blessings or God Himself?


I got to spend this past Monday night with our college students, talking about Jacob and Esau, and the patriarchal blessing in Genesis 27. One of the things I emphasized was that we often value God's blessings more than we value God. I even hear this tendency in my own prayers...."Thank you God for my healthy family, and for the job I love, and for the people who are such good friends to us, and for freedom to worship You, and for all Your provision, etc."
And while it is absolutely good and right for me to be thankful for all of those things, what if they all went away? The health, the family, the job, the friends, the house, the cars, the comfortable suburban life....what if it was all gone? Would I still thank Him? Would I still value Him for Who He is and what He's done on the Cross? Would I still delight in this life I live in Him?
So that was Monday night.....and now, today: Dan's car won't crank, the washing machine is making a funny sound, I need a crown replaced, we just finished paying for a significant AC repair, the dishwasher is coming apart piece by piece, Lana is going to need glasses, and we owe Uncle Sam a big chunk of money.
Are these subtle attacks from the enemy to discourage us as Dan and I minister for the sake of the gospel?
Or is this God giving us a wee little opportunity to "practice what we preach?"
I don't know which, but either way, God is so good. 
I'm soaking in 2 Corinthians 4, and ending this day with a smile. He's a good, good Father.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen, since what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal."


No comments:

Post a Comment