Thursday, September 24, 2015

Tucker's first chapter book

Teaching Tucker to read has been absolutely fascinating!  It is so different from how Lana learned.  He does well with sounding things out, but he is primarily a sight reader, and once he's read a word, he can remember it very well.

His kindergarten teacher has done an awesome job at encouraging him to read, and I can tell in just these few weeks how his stamina has improved under her guidance!

Just today, he found one of Lana's older chapter books Ivy and Bean and decided to read it in the car on the way to school.  When Dan told me he was reading it, I wasn't so sure, so tonight I asked him to read me a page or two: Tucker reading

He is demonstrating so many fabulous literacy skills without being prompted!
*tracking print
*reading with expression
*self correcting
*re-reading for comprehension
*sounding out words internally (burp)

I love raising readers!

No comments:

Post a Comment