2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1 cup packed brown sugar
just a little less than 1/2 cup white sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 egg yolk
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup milk chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper, and do not grease.
- Stir together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, cream together the melted butter, brown sugar, and white sugar until well blended. Beat in the vanilla, egg, and egg yolk until light and creamy. Mix in the sifted ingredients until just blended. Stir in the chocolate chips by hand using a wooden spoon.
- Refrigerate cookie dough until chilled, between 30 minutes and 1 hour.
- Drop cookie dough by heaping tablespoon full onto the prepared cookie sheets. You can make them as large as 1/4 cup each. Cookies should be about 3 inches apart.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes in a preheated oven, or until the edges are lightly toasted. Avoid overbaking, as that is the key to having a chewy cookie.
- Cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely. Store in airtight container.