Saturday, April 19, 2014

I oil pulled...and didn't die. Or throw up.

I read about oil putting here.  and here.  and here.  and more because google.
and I decided that it couldn't hurt,
and since my teeth and gums hate me and require lots of attention from a dental health professional at enormous expense, then maybe it could help and that was worth a shot!

So I started a couple of weeks ago.
I oil pull first thing in the morning,
before I brush my teeth or eat/drink.

Here's my story about how I oil pulled and survived! 

Day 1: I melted about 1/2 Tbs coconut oil in the microwave.  I was in a hurry because I woke up late, so I didn't melt it all the way - there were a few chunks in it (that was a mistake).  I added 1 drop of thieves and 1 drop of peppermint, and then put it in my mouth.  The chunks almost did me in - I started gagging.  Believe me, I will melt it all the way next time.

I powered through until the chunks were melted, and then the key for me was keeping my mind occupied.  I started struggling a bit at about 2 minutes, so I got on facebook to distract myself, and I could keep going.  I didn't mind the taste at all.  The only trouble I had was that it seemed to multiply in my mouth, which I suppose was my saliva.  At around 10 minutes, my mouth was so full I didn't feel like I could keep it closed, so I spit it out in the trash can.  My teeth feel SO clean!  There's a spot behind my bottom teeth that I never feel like I can get quite clean, and it was!!

Note: the Thieves and peppermint oil is not just for taste.  Thieves essential oil is an amazing blend of highly antiviral, antiseptic, antibacterial, and anti-infectious essential oils.  Peppermint oil is anti-inflammatory, antitumoral, antiparasitic, antibacterial, antiviral, antifungal, and pain-relieving.  

Day 2: Let me tell you what I can't do: oil pull in the shower.  I read in several places that it was a great idea to do it while you're showering.  And yeah, I like multitasking, so sure, it's a great idea in theory.  Except I felt like I was drowning when I rinsed my hair because I couldn't breathe through my mouth.  So I did it while I was putting my makeup on and blow drying my hair, and I made it 11 minutes and 30 seconds today.  I could have gone longer but I needed to be able to tell my kids to get a move on!

Day 5: I didn't oil pull one morning because we were out of town, and could tell the difference in how clean my mouth felt.

Day 6: I discovered a painful ulcer this morning at my bottom gum line and oil pulling this morning definitely made it less painful!  I think it's healing.

Day 7: This for sure gets easier every day.  Making it to 20 minutes was no problem for me today, and I actually don't mind the taste at all.  (It helps that I really love the taste of thieves oil.)  And the ulcer is completely gone!

Day 8: When I initially posted on facebook about oil pulling, some people commented that they love it, but that their jaws have been sore or they've had headaches afterward.  I haven't had any of those problems until today.  I, just by accident, use less coconut oil this morning.  I grabbed a different spoon, and somehow ended up with less (I always just eyeball it).  That means I had to swish more and work harder to get that oil over all of my teeth and gums, and so by 15 minutes in, my jaws were slightly sore and I was headachy.  I won't make that mistake again!  More is more, in this case.

Day 15: I'm an oil puller!  I don't do it every day (because some days I just forget), but I really do love how my mouth feels when I remember.  Between this and Thieves mouthwash, I'm actually excited about going back to the dentist and hearing what they have to say!

No comments:

Post a Comment