Monday, January 20, 2014

Oily concoctions: eczema cream, pain cream, sleepytime cream, vapor rub

If you've read my blog lately, you know that I have fallen in love with my essential oils.  
They have kept us out of the doctor's office completely this winter.
They have rendered our medicine cabinet nearly obsolete.  
Seriously - those meds are just expiring in their bottles.  Love it.
We are "well-er" and healthier than we've been in years,
and it's happening all naturally, which makes me so happy.

Just this past week or two, I've used my voodoo oils to 
prevent sickness
take the sting out of a paper cut
make my stinky dog smell better
clear Lana's stuffy nose
help Tucker go to sleep
flavor my peppermint hot chocolate
ease a sore muscle
knock out a headache
sterilize a wound
make apple cider
and more and more and more

After seeing a friend post about some different kinds of lotions and creams she made with her oils, I decided to give it a try today.

First, I made a big batch of base:
1/2 lb shae butter
4 oz grapeseed oil
4 oz coconut oil (warm until liquid)
Whip for 5 minutes or so.  This would be super easy if one had a kitchenaid mixer and could just let it whip, but it was really no big deal to do with my hand mixer.  It'll get big and fluffy and creamy.  Delish.  Lana actually asked if she could lick a beater.
Divide the base into glass containers and add oils.
*Note: it's important to use glass containers as the oils break down in most plastics.
(I used glass half pint mason jars, and it was perfect.)
There is enough base to make 4 batches of creams with about 1/2 cup base each.

I made 4 creams: pain cream, sleepytime cream, vapor rub, and eczema cream.

Pain cream:
Using about 1/2 cup of base, I mixed in 10 drops each of panaway, valor, and peppermint, and 8 drops each of lemongrass and idaho balsam fir.  (The balsam fir isn't necessary; I just got it as a freebie, and added it in as the EOPR recommends it for muscular pain.)
I recently read about a "heavy duty" pain cream that included 10 drops of frankincense, idaho balsam fir, and copaiba in addition to the others.  I will add those next time.

Eczema cream:
Using about 1/2 cup base, I mixed in 10 drops each of lavender, melrose, frankincense, and melalucea A (tea tree oil).

Sleepytime cream:
Using 1/2 cup base, I mixed in 15 drops each of cedarwood and lavender.  The recipe calls for 15 drops peace and calming also, but I had just run out of that, so I made it without.

Not pictured: vapor rub
Using 1/2 cup base, add 8-10 drops each of idaho balsam fir (a natural decongestant), peppermint, and eucalyptus (supports respiratory health).  SO perfect to rub a bit on the chest to help a stuffy nose, or on the feet with socks to soothe a cough.

I also have the recipe for an energy cream:  1/2 cup of base with 15 drops each of Motivation, En-R-Gee, and Peppermint.  I've heard it's awesome!

I am so excited about using these creams.  My hands were so soft after even just making them. :)

2 comments:

  1. I want to know how they work! I have jars and shea butter on it's way here now. I can't wait to make some up as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Where would you apply this energy cream?

      Delete