Tuesday, December 10, 2013

'Round here

The past month or so has been cuh-razy in all the best ways, but I confess that I miss blogging every other day or so.  This blog is the way we "keep history" of our family, and I love having a record of the small, day-to-day things going on in our lives.

Here's what's been going on in and around Team Davis lately:

1.  My children have joined the masses and become slightly obsessed with this song.  I confess, I sing it at the top of my lungs with them.

2.  This book is blowing our minds this month.  The cliffhanger at the end of each day's reading makes Lana crazy.

3.  Tucker is napping every other day or so, and on the days he doesn't nap, he is mastering the art of "quiet time".  While his quiet time is perhaps not so quiet, it does involve him being in his room, with the door closed, playing by himself while mommy has time to do chores take a nap herself.  The other day he spent over an hour in quiet time before I went to get him.  That's success!

4.  Lana visited the orthodontist this week for a consultation.  I took some heat on social media about her being "too young," but I wanted to have a baseline to compare to as she grows and her teeth develop.  Right now, we're "waiting and seeing," but we'll have some tooth extraction/retainer/headgear action in the not-too-distant future.  And I will apparently have to sell an appendage to pay for it.

5. Tucker got glasses.  He's farsighted and has a stigmatism.  I paid $200 for the frames that you can bend every which way, so he wouldn't break them.  He doesn't wear them, mostly because I forget.

6. I have resigned myself to the fact that for the first year in recent memory, Team Davis will not be sending out Christmas postcards, totally and completely because I cannot get a picture that I like well enough to produce in mass quantities and pay big money for the United States Postal Service to distribute.

7.  After years of tossing around the idea and rejecting it because we are just too dependent on our check card, we have moved to a cash envelope system, and it is rocking our world in the best way possible.  I still pay our bills online, but everything else is cash.  We have cut out lots of extra expenditures, know exactly where every dime is going, and feel freer financially than we have in years.

8.  We watched the Iron Bowl with a group of friends who were not all Alabama fans.  Some were simply rooting for Auburn because they don't like the Tide.  Just imagine that last :01.  Yes, it was as horrible as you are thinking.

9.  Tonight I had a headache, and instead of reaching for my Excedrin, I rubbed valor oil on my neck and peppermint oil on my temples.  Headache gone.  Essential oils really are changing the way we stay healthy.

10.  Last year, we bought a new Christmas tree on the day after Christmas.  (Our old one was a hundred years old and was losing more needles than a live one on Christmas Day.)  We were so excited to put it up this year.  Dan was assembling the four sections, when he realized instead of having an A-B-C-D, we had A-C-C-D.  I had taped the receipt to the box, so on Black Friday (the day we always decorate for Christmas), he took it back to the store.  Where they did not have any more that size in stock.  Of course.  So he had to get a smaller one, which annoyed me completely at first, but now I'm in love.  It doesn't take up too much room so I don't feel like my house is in disarray, which means that I'm actually enjoying having a tree up.  It all works out.

11.  I am so wishing we had this wreath right now.  Maybe next year.

12.  Our kids can almost fold, hang, and put away all their own laundry.  Lana can do it for sure, and she helps Tucker do his.  Bliss.

13.  At Tucker's 4 year old well check, he weighed 40 pounds and was 43 inches tall.  He is in the 75th percentile for height and weight.

14.  At Lana's 7 year old well check, she weighed 57 pounds and was 51 inches tall.  That puts her in the 69th percentile for weight, and the 83rd for height.

15.  Job sharing is still the coolest job I've ever had, and while it requires far more energy and time than I thought it might, it is the most perfect job you can imagine.  I hope I can do this forever and ever.

16.  We've had Pepper for almost a year now, and I am so attached to that dog it's ridiculous.  Every morning, when we let her out of her kennel, after she goes outside to use the potty, she runs around the house greeting each of us in turn.  Best cuddlebug ever.

17.  Dan preached last Sunday, and his brother came and spoke briefly at the beginning of the service.  I could not help but cry at the sight of those two Davis brothers, doing ministry together.

18.  I just read this book, thanks to Dan's sister.  I only slept 3 hours a night, but I read it in just a couple of days.  So good.

19.  I'm also reading this right now, and it's busting my heart wide open.  It's the kind of thing that's so good that it hurts.

20.  Today was a hard day.  I talked with 3 different friends who are going through dark, hard times.  Little to no hope in sight.  I had nothing to offer them - I could only cry with them.  I dealt with a discipline issue with Lana that almost ripped me in two - the heart issue is so deep, and she was so callous about it.  Tucker fell apart at dinner because he didn't get his way and had to be taken out of the restaurant screaming.  (The restaurant was full of my co-workers and friends - we were all there for a school fundraiser.)  I tried to call a friend (for the third time this week) and could not.  There's something broken that I cannot fix.  I spent some carefully saved money on eating out at lunch, and it was ruined by circumstances beyond my control.  I mailed a package to some family members who will be away for Christmas for the first time ever.  The skies were gray all day, and it's bone-chilling cold.  It's been a sad day.  Some days are just like that.  Even in Australia.      

1 comment: