Monday, August 19, 2013

First day of second grade! (and first grade for Mommy)

Last week Lana was so excited to meet her second grade teacher, Mrs. Hildreth:

She is always a bit nervous on this day, so we are sure to have a gift in hand for her teacher.  She was thrilled to see her new classroom and desk!

 Meanwhile, I was just a few halls down, working on preparing my classroom for this year.  It feels so amazing to even write that!  
Here is the classroom I share with Mrs. Hoock at the end of the first grade hall:

My friend Donella made that awesome wreath for me, and one of our youth made that crayon D sign for me!  Starting to feel like home-

Here's a quick peek inside:

 This morning was our first day!
Here's my girl reading her letter for the first day of school:

 Dan was so sweet to get up with us almost before the sun and cook a good breakfast:

Ready or not, here we come......

Meet Lauren Hoock, my co-teacher.  
She will teach our class on Mondays, Tuesday, and Wednesdays.
I will teach our class on Thursday and Fridays.
 Job sharing is new for both of us,
and we were both a bit nervous about it.
However, we were awesome together in the classroom today!
 We will both teach all 5 days this week so we can get our routines and procedures in place.
Here are some of my favorite things about my new job so far:
*My commute to work is 3 miles and 5 minutes.
*I absolutely adore first graders.  I taught 1st grade for 4 years before having children, so it's familiar to me, and that helps, of course; but I really just genuinely enjoy the age.  They are still sweet and need to be loved and nurtured, but they are independent enough that they can be taught to do almost anything!  Their little minds are sponges at this age, and it's one of the coolest things in the world to watch them go from new readers to being really and truly literate.
*I love the first grade team I am on.  Really strong group of teachers, and they have been so welcoming to me.
*There is so much to absorb and so many new things to learn how to do - it is a total blessing to be job sharing and have the opportunity to learn it all gradually, with someone to walk me through each step.
*It's super fun to have another teacher in the classroom (for this week, at least) to collaborate with all day.  I didn't know how it would be to have 2 teachers in the classroom, but it's working so well!
*I got to see my girl's smiling face several times today - makes this mama's heart happy.
*Totally superficial - but my classroom is huge and has lots of windows and a bathroom.  Any elementary teacher will know how good those things are.
*I am not "going back to work" in a school full of strangers.  Everywhere I go, there is a familiar, smiling face who is willing to help me.  I do not take this for granted!  Having 2 years at this school as a parent and volunteer has helped me build some relationships before actually teaching, which is so nice.
Those are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head!  I am so happy to be teaching at Lipscomb!

Thrilled to be on this first grade team:


After school, Dan took us to TCBY to celebrate an awesome first day!

No comments:

Post a Comment