Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Potty training update

A quick update on Tucker's potty training progress.  We started potty training 4 weeks ago, and here's how he's doing now:
  • He is telling us when he needs to go, every single time.  I still take him when I think he might need to (before we get in the car, before watching tv, etc.), but when he does feel the need, he tells me and follows through.
  • Last week, he was having success with #2 about half the time, and having accidents the other half.  It was still very stressful for him.  This week, he's turned a corner!  No poop accidents - he just tells us when he needs to go, we take him to the potty, and he does his thing.  And he's going nearly every day!  This is a major victory for us.  We're continuing giving him a bit of Miralax every day, and will until we're certain he's gotten this down pat.
  • He very rarely has nighttime pee pee accidents.  If he needs to go, he just fusses until we come get him and take him.  Every night is different as far as this is concerned: about half the time, he will sleep 12+ hours and wake up dry!  But the other half of the time, he'll wake up during the night.  Sometimes it's just once, sometimes it's as many as 3 or 4 times (UGH).  It's not dependent on how much liquid he has at night, either.  Strange.  In any event, we've only changed sheets 3x since we started potty training, so that's good.
  • Funny story: he will only pee standing up.  We've been trying to teach him to "shake."  When I reminded him a couple of weeks ago to shake, he said "No!  I no shake.  Mommy shake!"  Laughing, I told him that Mommy doesn't shake anything, that he had to.  Well, he wouldn't.  So I handed him a square of toilet paper and let him pat, and that's basically become our routine.  I didn't think to tell Dan about that, and one day when he took him, I heard Tucker say "I need paper to pat pat!" and Dan saying "NO, Tucker!  Boys don't pat pat!  Boys shake!"  Oh, I giggle even writing this.  So funny.  For the record, when Mommy takes him, he pats, and when Daddy takes him, he shakes.  :)
  • He will use the potty anywhere, which is a relief.  Lana was very funny about using public potties, so we had to take her little potty with us everywhere we went.  Tucker has no problem with it.  In fact, he likes to use other people's potties.
  • We were driving home from Daphne a few nights ago, and he said he had to pee.  We pulled over on the side of the road to let him go, and Lana said "Mommy, it's so funny that boys can just pee in the wild."  I couldn't stop laughing, and laughed even harder when Dan got back in and told me Tucker has asked to flush it after he peed on the bush.
  • He has never asked about gummies or stickers or anything else when peeing or pooping - for him, the reward is flushing the potty.  His teacher at church forgot and flushed the potty herself, and he was highly upset about that.
  • For the past 2 weeks, he has stayed clean during church, which feels like a huge victory to me, too.
All in all, I'd say that we have a potty trained little boy!  I'm so proud of him.

I'll admit this:
I'm a bit sad that there are no more diapers to change.
I can't even actually remember the last diaper I put on.
I wish I would have paid more attention,
just tried to savor one of those last baby-moments.

No comments:

Post a Comment