Sunday, December 4, 2011

Potty training Tucker: Game on.

"Dry diaper, Mommy!"

This was not my plan.

MY plan was to wait until after the holidays were over,
and then focus on potty training Tucker.

However, he seems to have other plans.

Up until about 2 weeks ago, he was so anti-potty it was funny.
We'd ask him if he wanted to sit on the potty, and his answer was
always a very strong
"No!  I no potty!"

And then something clicked,
and all of a sudden he was super interested
and asking to go to the potty
and one day I stood him up in front of the potty
and he peed.
He did it again and again over the next few days.

He didn't even care about the cheering
and wasn't interested in a reward.
He just wanted to flush.

Hmph.

That was NOT my plan.
However,
I believe wholeheartedly in potty training
when a child is ready
and just following their lead
and not making it a battle of wills.
And this is all especially true of my Tucker
because he's so strong willed.
If this is on his terms,
it's liable to go much better than
if it's something we force on him.

So with the encouragement of some friends,
I've given in
and I'm going to get on his timetable.

Here are the ways that I know he's ready:
*He's keeping his diaper dry during the day for hours at a time.
*He's sometimes staying dry through naptime.
*He's so excited about going to the potty, will often initiate it, and will always gladly go when we ask him.
*He can tell us that he needs to pee, and will hold it until he can get to the potty.
*The other night after bath he was running around without jammies and all of a sudden we heard his potty flush and he came out saying "I pee pee by myself!"

So.
We're going to potty train this week.
Although he's basically training himself at this point.

We used Lora Jensen's 3 Day Potty Training method with Lana,
and had great success.
I'm going to do essentially the same thing with Tucker this week,
with the realization that boys are different.

The only parts I'm concerned about are
sleep times
and
pooping.

When we potty trained Lana, she was already in a big girl bed.
Tucker is still happily sleeping in his crib.
Remember, the plan was for me to do this in January,
after I had time to move him out of his crib.
But I'm not going to do 2 major transitions at once,
so I guess he'll do this part in a different order than big sis.
I'm anticipating lots of sheet changing.
Ick.

And he hasn't yet been interested in pooping on the potty.
So we'll see about that, too.
He doesn't like to have poop in his diaper, though,
and he is agreeable when we mention pooping in the potty -
we just haven't caught him in time yet.

So tonight I'm gearing up for a week of all things potty related.
I'm re-reading the blogs I wrote about potty training Lana.

And I'm getting everything laid out and ready:

Flushable wipes and Clorox wipes.
Because they just seem like things you need when you're potty training a penis.


A Lightning McQueen potty insert for #2. 
We've heard lots of good advice 
about teaching boys to pee sitting down first,
but T-bone refuses.  
Only standing up for him -
he likes to watch the pee hit the water. 
Go figure.


A basket of books, also for #2.
He'll willingly sit on the above insert
as long as I'm reading to him,
so I'm hopeful this is how we'll have poop success!
Also notice the basket of Toy Story gummies
to the right of the books.
He's not requiring any reinforcement for pee-pee:
that's totally his idea, and he's doing great.
But we need some incentive to take this pottying
to the next level, if you know what I mean.

This is how Team Davis limits drinks after dinner and bath.
With a medicine cup.
We're not ones to deny water to our children if they say they're thirsty before bed, but we sure can make sure it's just a small serving of water.

17 pairs of adorable little boy undies.
Diego.
Toy Story.
Lightning McQueen.


A special Toy Story cup like big sister's,
with some special juices.
I'll encourage lots of liquids during the day
so that there is lots of pee
so that there are lots of training opportunities.


Now that I'm ready,
here's the game plan:

We'll get him up tomorrow morning
and put him in underwear (of his choice) and a shirt.

We'll let him throw all the diapers in the trash -
bye bye, diapers!!!  Lots of celebrating this part.
Team Davis goes big or goes home - no pull-ups for us!!
At least not yet.
Our standing agreement is that we go totally diaper-free for
3 days and 3 nights.
If we are still having lots of accidents at that point,
we go to plan B, whatever that is.
Diapers at nighttime, pull-ups, whatever.
But we give it 3 solid days and nights before
going back.

So after diapers are trashed, we'll drink and play and
I'll keep my focus on him all day long.
I'll remind him often to "tell Mommy when you need to potty."
Dan will take Lana to school and bring her home
so that Tucker and I can be close to a potty all day long.
I won't spend much time on the computer or my phone,
and he won't watch any tv.
Both of us will be learning his signals,
and we don't want anything else to have our attention.
Dinner is very simple and something that Dan will put on the grill
so I won't have to worry about being distracted with cooking.

We'll keep it very, very positive.
I'll remind him often to keep his underwear dry.
We'll call Nana and Sue Sue and PawPaw and Daddy
and tell them when we poop in the potty -
it'll be a big deal, requiring lots of celebrating!
We'll get gummies for that.

I'm prepared for naptime to be a disaster.
It was with Lana the first day.

I remember being exhausted after Lana's first day of potty training.
That could have been because I was 4 weeks pregnant with Tucker,
in that first trimester where I wanted to sleep 20 out of 24 hours a day.
So maybe I won't be SO tired this time.
Besides, he's done part of it for me!

On that note, I'm going to bed before 9 p.m. so I can be rested and ready to go tomorrow!  Wish me luck!

4 comments:

  1. Good luck! You are very, very prepared. I would have assumed nothing less! You can call us to tell us he pooped, we are good cheer-ers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Given I don't have kiddos I don't ever really read blogs about potty training, but I began just out of curiousity reading this and you never cease to crack me up...my favorite...
    "Because they just seem like things you need when you're potty training a penis."
    I was laughing for a good five minutes :)
    Hope it all goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am bookmarking this for future reference!!! :) Thanks, Rachael!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Rachael! You are the best for recording this so completely! I am hoping/dreading that we will be embarking on this journey in the near future. :) I have bookmarked this and read it and will read it again! Love!

    ReplyDelete