Monday, August 29, 2011

Monday morning blues.


This little girl is the reason that
I now love Friday afternoons
and dread Monday mornings.

In honor of my Monday morning blues, 
here's a list of things that I miss about Lana while she's at school- 
in no particular order.
  • It's not as fun to read books without her to listen.
  • I have no one to talk to me in complete sentences.
  • Tucker gets bored far more easily.
  • The house is too quiet.
  • I miss her encouragement: "Good job cleaning the house, Mommy!"  "Oh, that's a good lunch!" "You said that nicely, Mommy," and more.
  • Dance parties aren't as fun.
  • I don't get to play with baby dolls or with Barbies.
  • I only get half the kisses and hugs.
  • There's no one to scheme with.  Lana & I are experts at "making a plan" together, and her little brother's just more of a go-with-the-flow kind of guy.
  • Her laugh.  Oh, I miss hearing that laugh ring out across my house while she's at school.
  • There's only one hand to hold as we cross the parking lot.
  • The questions aren't nearly as fun to answer.  Tucker did recently learn to ask "Where going?" and "What's that?" which are awfully precious, but don't hold a candle to "Why do you think God actually made biting flies?" and "If Satan repents and believes, will he be saved?" and "What are little girls in Japan doing right now?"
  • Oh, I miss her notes sliding under the door during rest time.
  • When we're doing something really fun and exciting, Tucker's first response to me is "Lanny!  I get Lanny!"  Such a letdown when he discovers she's not here.
  • I don't have anyone to sing along with me in the car - solos aren't nearly as fun as duets with my girl.
  • Lunch for 2 just isn't the same as lunch for 3.
Other Monday morning thoughts:

I remember my mom telling me after I went to college that sometimes she just went and laid on my bed.  At the time, I thought it was funny and a little strange, and now I totally get it.  

Before we had kids, I taught first grade at an amazing little neighborhood school in Fairhope, AL.  Each year I welcomed a new crop of 21-25 six and seven year olds.  I had no idea then how hard it must have been on some of those parents - how they were literally handing their hearts to me for safekeeping and education.  I blithely ushered them in my cottage door, and taught them how to read and write and garden and dance and color in the lines and take turns and cut with scissors and complete literacy centers and use computers and share.  I did it all with a smile because I loved it so, but I had no idea what had been entrusted to me.

Edited to add: I just have to make a note here in our record of family memories how good God is.  I wrote this blog late Sunday night, and was having a really hard time falling asleep.  I was praying for my girl and her teacher and for our family as we adjust to this new way of life.  Just before I went to bed, I checked email one last time, and had an email from her teacher asking if I would volunteer in their classroom on Monday mornings.  WOW!  That is exactly what I needed to get our week started.  I'm so thankful that her teacher welcomes me into her classroom, and for a dear friend here at church who is willing to keep Tucker so that I can be with my girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment