Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Life with Tucker today (1 year, 11 months)


Profile of a 23-month-old Tucker
  • Interests: cars and trains, airplanes, listening to music on the "i-pah!" (ipod)
  • Enjoys: climbing, throwing balls, reading books, wrestling with Daddy
  • Turn Offs: being told no, having to share, Lana ignoring him (he'll do virtually anything to get her attention)
  • Vices: his temper.  He got mad at me this morning because I poured him milk for breakfast instead of juice, and he stormed off into the playroom, pushing over a doll highchair on his way.
  • Strengths: he loves to help, and will redirect easily if he's not tired or hungry 



Favorites of an almost 2 year old Tucker:

  • Foods: broccoli still, green beans, popsicles, strawberries (which he hated a few months ago)
  • Songs: Baa Baa Black Sheep
  • Shows: Diego and Yo Gabba Gabba
  • Books: Birthday Monsters, his preschool Bible, books about trucks
  • Toys: cars, balls, cash register
  • Activities: anything that is outside!




Words:
Regularly says: Anything that we say.  We often hear things like "I do it!" and "I no like it." and "I love you."  He's consistently saying 3-word sentences, and often surprises us with the things he can identify. "Princesses" and "tractor" and "pancake" are some that have made us laugh lately.
He'll tell us "watch it!" when he wants us to see something he's doing.
I had a whole conversation with him the other day when he woke up from his nap. It went like this:
Tucker: "Daddy?  Where's Daddy?"
Me: "He's at work, buddy."
T: (in this really sad voice): "Awwwww."
Me: "I know, buddy.  I know you love Daddy."
T: "Love him.  Huuuuuug him." (giving himself a tight hug)





How 23-month-old Tucker is like his... 
sister - he loves books, and is tender-hearted.  They both get their feelings hurt easily.
cousin Noah - he sounds so much like him!  He'll say something, and I can just hear Noah in my head.

Treasuring details of my nearly 2 year old:

  • He loves to pray, saying "Pray?!" as soon as we sit down at the table to eat, or when I lay him in his crib at night.
  • He is the sweatiest little thing, and will often be dripping with sweat just running around playing in the house.
  • He gives the best kisses, which he calls "mwah"s.  If I pretend like I'm sleeping, he'll give me a kiss to wake me up.
  • He loves for us to push him around the neighborhood in his little red car.  He's content much longer in that thing than in his stroller these days.
  • He knows the words "pee pee" and "poop," but is showing no other interest in potty training.  I'm perfectly happy with that.  I think 2 and a half was the perfect age with Lana!
  • We have his big boy bed set up in his room, but only because I didn't want to have to put it in the attic.  He is so content in his crib, and we'll let that ride as long as he will let us.
  • He is just a people-lover!  We were in our new pediatrician's office the other day, and he was sitting beside me while I filled out some paperwork.  As each person passed by, he would wave and say "HI!  I Tucker.  I cute."  No self-esteem issues here.
  • While he does love people is definitely a mama's boy, and often prefers for me to be holding him, especially in a large crowd of people, and especially if he's tired.  
  • He wakes around 7:00 every morning, no matter if he goes to bed at 6:30 p.m. or 9:30 p.m.  He's up with the birds, either way!  This will work well with Lana's school schedule, since she has to be at school by 7:30 a.m., so I can't complain.
  • He takes a 2-3 hour nap each day, and he prefers to take it earlier rather than later.  He's often ready for a nap by lunchtime.  This will work well with Lana's school schedule, too, as I need to pick her up around 2:00 p.m. 
  • He's started asking for me to leave books in his crib.  Love that.
  • He adores his big sister, and wants to do anything she's doing.  I don't know how he'll survive when she starts school in a couple of weeks!
  • We don't plan on sending him to preschool at all this year.  First, we're not sure we can afford it - we're still settling in to our new budget and figuring out what we will realistically have to live on.  We're okay with that, though, because of his birthday, he would have to repeat a year in the 1 year old classroom.  I don't think that's necessary, so we'll just put him in a couple of days a week next year in a 2 year old class.  He'll be the oldest in his class for sure, then, which is good for boys!
  • He's becoming a little more adventurous when eating, at least trying some new things, although he's likely to spit it out and say "I don't like it!"  We just keep offering it, though.  His tastes vary widely from day to day - one day he'll hate something, and the next day he'll love it.
  • Just a few months ago, I wrote about how he hated shoes.  Now he loves them and wants them on all the time, especially his crocs!  His cousin Noah passed down a pair of car slippers that he would wear everywhere, all the time, if I let him.
  • He's my mischievous one - I have to keep an eye on him, because he'll try things that his sister never did.  I keep Poison Control on speed dial - really. 



Here's my mama's boy.
He melts my heart.

 He loves to help daddy work!
A piece of furniture came with this small wrench, and he thought it was the coolest thing ever that Dan let him help put together this table and chairs.

 His love for books is growing everyday, and I couldn't be happier!

The next time I write a "Life with Tucker Today," he'll be 2 years old!
This is one of my favorite ages.
Yes, the tantrums and battles of will are exhausting,
but it's so rewarding to train them in righteousness,
and watch them learn to grow in "wisdom and stature, in favor with God and man."

I so much prefer this stage to the infant state!
I wish I could freeze time right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment